Proper Use of Licensed Databases for Course-Affiliated Client Projects, Directed Studies, Field Studies, Case Competitions, Internships and Employers
Goizueta Business Library (GBL) vendors license their databases at rates that reflect a deep discount compared to what a commercial enterprise would pay. As part of these agreements, GBL agrees that the Goizueta Business School (GBS) will use the content and data strictly for academic or research purposes, for career/interview related research, and personal enrichment. Breach of these conditions may result in vendors cutting off access.
Experiential course client projects, directed studies, field studies and case competitions are part of GBS’s academic program. Therefore, GBS students, faculty and staff may use Emory’s licensed databases, including those of the Goizueta Business Library, for their own work in conjunction with these programs, but must follow these guidelines:
- You are allowed to excerpt or summarize only a small portion of reports, articles, data and other documents for inclusion in papers, presentation decks, and all other project and course deliverables. You may never distribute to any project-related clients or anyone else outside of GBS any reports, articles, spreadsheets, etc. from Emory’s electronic databases.
- According to Emory’s Honor Code you must always attribute accurately and completely all data and excerpts or direct references you include in papers, presentation decks, and all other project and course deliverables. For recommended guidelines on citing sources in your bibliographies, notes/footnotes/ and slides, look at these APA Citation Guides: Penn State University Libraries; USC Libraries.
- According to Emory’s Code of Conduct, you can never share your Emory username/id and password with anyone attending Emory or outside of Emory.
- According to Emory’s Code of Conduct, you can never provide anyone who is not currently an enrolled GBS student access to any GBL electronic resources (i.e. log them in); you can never allow anyone who is not currently enrolled at Emory University access to any electronic resources that are subscribed for use across Emory communities.
- You must abide by Emory University's Library Licensed Electronic Resources Conditions of Use Policy.
You are strictly forbidden from using the Goizueta Business Library's or any other Emory electronic resources for any work related to current employers or internships or providing access to anyone at these organizations.
You CAN use library resources for your personal enrichment over the summer!
Learn more about the proper use of licensed resources and details on using Business Library resources during your internship. Don't forget to maximise your MP Business Intelligence skills and Advanced Google searches.
Reach out to any of the Goizueta business librarians.